Neuropathology faculty specialize in biopsies or resections from Central Nervous System (CNS) tumors, infections, and epilepsy.
Neuropathology provides didactic lectures for medical students, including lectures in the Scientific Basis of Medicine (SBM) course for all medical students, in which the basics of neuropathology are covered. Residents in pathology, neurology, and neurosurgery all spend a month on a Neuropathology rotation.
Faculty lead a number of regular didactic sessions, including:
- Weekly Brain Cutting Conferences
- Monthly Brain Cutting Conferences featuring cases of interest to Neurology and Neuroradiology residents and fellows
- Weekly Neuropathology Quality Assurance Conference and case review
- Weekly Brain Tumor Conference of the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University
Neuropathology faculty have funded research programs in Alzheimer's disease, front temporal dementia, and developmental biology, and supports Feinberg’s Cognitive Neurology and Alzheimer’s Disease Center and Brain Tumor Institute.
Feinberg faculty offer clinical neuropathology services through the Northwestern Neuropathology Program. Comprised of three board-certified neuropathologists at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and one neuropathologist at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, the program offers:
- Consultation or second-opinion services in surgical neuropathology
- Postmortem neuropathology (providing valuable information to families)
- Nerve and muscle biopsies
Learn more via the Anatomic Pathology section of the Northwestern Medicine Department of Pathology site.
Eileen Bigio, MD
Medical Director, Neuropathology
Christina L Appin, MDDaniel J Brat, MD, PhDCraig M Horbinski, MD, PhDQinwen Mao, MD, PhD