June is nationally recognized as Pride Month. This month's purpose is to recognize the impact that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals have had on history locally, nationally, and internationally. The Northwestern Department of Pathology is committed to fostering an environment where all are welcome as who they are.
Department of Pathology Statement on Pride Month
From the Desk of Dr. Carla L. Ellis - Director of Wellness, Diversity, and Inclusion
Happy Pride Month!
The Northwestern University Department of Pathology always recognizes and supports our LGBTQ+ community, and we do so even more enthusiastically during the month of June when we and the nation celebrate Pride!
"I started residency during Pride last year and felt so welcomed with all of the LGBTQ+ flags throughout the hospital."
-Lacey Durham, PGY1 and DEI committee member
We also work continually on our internal policies to ensure that our colleagues and employees are treated equitably and respectfully in their work environment. Some of our action items in this regard include:
- Access to diversity and inclusion training to create a safe and friendly environment for all employees.
- A clear mission that emphasizes fair treatment and open support of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Communication of all supportive resources in the Northwestern community, such as:
- The Institute for Sexual and Gender Minority Health and Wellbeing
- Northwestern University LGBT Safe Space Training
- Northwestern University Feinberg SOM LGBTQ+ Alliance
- Northwestern Feinberg OutList and AllyList