Each year, the Department of Pathology offers two ACGME-accredited fellowship positions in cytopathology that emphasize a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach.
Faculty members involved in the program are committed to fellow training and actively involved in cytopathology at the local, national and international level.
We are participating in the American Society of Cytopathology (ASC) cytopathology fellowship unified timeline for the 2025-2026 fellowship year.
Application window: July-September 2023
Interview window: August - October 2023 (earliest date to start interviews: Week of August 14, 2023)
Earliest offer date: October 2, 2023 (acceptance terms: 24 hours for applicants to accept/decline offer)
The program has filled both fellowship spots for the 2023-2024 and 2024-2025 academic years.
- Provide a strong and diverse didactic and practical cytopathology curriculum, including cytomorphologic diagnostic skills, scientific and medical knowledge, technical skills and administrative and lab management experience
- Teach fellows to use ancillary studies such as immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry, molecular pathology and microbiology in coming to a final cytopathologic diagnosis
- Encourage fellows to participate in research projects, prepare abstracts for submission to national meetings and write manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Promote the development of teaching and presentations skills through participation in interdepartmental conferences
The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University is an NCI-designated comprehensive facility for the treatment and research of neoplastic disorders where an amazing spectrum of interesting cases are seen by Pathology. Cytopathology's annual volume is approximately 40,000 (25,000 gynecologic and 15,000 non-gynecologic).
There is a FNA clinic within the division, and the staff and trainees participate in performance of superficial FNAs as well as on site evaluations/triage of specimens acquired in interventional radiology, bronchoscopy and interventional gastroenterology.
Regular teaching conferences are held for residents and fellows, and there is significant involvement in departmental, interdepartmental and multidisciplinary conferences. An outstanding comprehensive teaching slide set collection is available on site. The fellows participate in service, review of outside consultations, teaching, quality assurance activities and translational research.
Two cytopathology fellowships are offered annually. Applications should be submitted between July and September two years prior to the starting date of the fellowship. In-person interviews for selected candidates will take place during the months of September and October, following the review of applications. Prepare an application package with the following items:
- Cover letter containing a one-page summary of your cytopathology interest and background
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
Send application materials and letters of recommendation by email to Celeste Urbina at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Housestaff training through McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University provides diverse and challenging clinical experiences and world-class education located in the heart of the beautiful city of Chicago. Learn more via the links to the McGaw website below.