The pediatric pathology program provides comprehensive training in both diagnostic and investigative pediatric pathology in the reputable and nurturing setting of the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago. One fellowship spot is offered annually.
Associate Professor of Pathology (Pediatric Pathology)
- Participate in daily clinical activities in anatomic, clinical and perinatal pathology
- Formulate preliminary diagnoses and autopsy reports based upon gross and histological findings
- Participate in the interpretation and reporting of fine needle aspirations and frozen sections
- Review non-gynecology cytopathology
- Communicate with clinicians and report critical diagnoses
Fellows participate in one or two research projects, present abstracts at national meetings and prepare manuscripts.
Recent fellows' publications:
- Mariani R, Gong S. Bone marrow histopathologic findings in SIFD syndrome: beyond the erythroid lineage. Blood. 2018 Sep 27;132(13):1459.
- Mariani R, Kadakia R, Arva NC. Noninvasive encapsulated follicular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma: Should it also be reclassified in children? Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2018 Jun;65(6):e26966.
- Almaghraby A, Brickman WJ, Goldstein JA, Habiby RL. Refractory hypoglycemia in a pediatric patient with desmoplastic small round cell tumor. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2018 Aug 28;31(8):947-950.
- Putra J, Arva NC, Tan SY, Melin-Aldana H, Bass LM, Mitchell PD, Fox VL, Goldsmith JD. Barrett Esophagus and Intestinal Metaplasia of the Gastroesophageal Junction in Children: A Clinicopathologic Study. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2020 May;70(5):562-567.
- Tan SY, Fritsch MK, White S, Arva NC. Dissecting the Cardiac Conduction System: Is It Worthwhile? Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2020 Nov-Dec;23(6):413-423.
- Onorato A, Shapiro J, Griffin L, Aldulescu M, Arva NC, Shah A. Chronic cough and weight loss in an adolescent marijuana smoker. SAGE Open Med Case Rep. 2022 Mar 22;10:2050313X221085779.
- Shahzad F, Chappell AG, Purnell CA, Aldulescu M, Chamlin S. Infantile Myofibroma Presenting as a Large Ulcerative Nodule in a Newborn. Case Rep Pediatr. 2019 Sep 17;2019:3476508.
- Webster G, Reynolds M, Arva NC, Dellefave-Castillo LM, McElligott HS, Kofman A, Laboski A, Magnetta D, George AL Jr, McNally EM, Puckelwartz MJ. Mitochondrial cardiomyopathy and ventricular arrhythmias associated with biallelic variants in C1QBP. Am J Med Genet A. 2021 Aug;185(8):2496-2501.
- Aouad P, Young NM, Saratsis AM, Reynolds MA, Ryan ME. Gorham Stout disease of the temporal bone with cerebrospinal fluid leak. Childs Nerv Syst. 2022 Feb;38(2):455-460.
- Supervise and guide rotating residents
- Teach residents on rotation, medical students and histotechnologists
- Facilitate lectures and microscopic conferences
- Participate in Interdepartmental conferences: surgery-pathology conference; oncology tumor boards; cardiology, PICU and NICU M&M conferences; firm rounds and pathology grand rounds
- Organize teaching sets and update resident manual
- Evaluate rotating residents
Lab Techniques and Management
- Participate in clinical pathology rotation and learn laboratory techniques
- Participate in daily anatomic pathology QA
- Perform cytopathology-histology correlation
- Participate in CAP self-inspection and accreditation programs
There is exposure to all aspects of pediatric pathology, including general surgical pathology, neuropathology, hematopathology, cytology, perinatal pathology, molecular techniques and pathology informatics. The material is diagnostically challenging. The department evaluates approximately 7,000 complex surgical specimens, 1500 non-gynecologic cytology, 700 cytogenetic studies, 425 outside consults, 200 fine needle aspirations/core biopsies and 40 autopsy cases per year.
The perinatal pathology rotation takes place at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where approximately 3,500 placentas and 100 perinatal autopsies are evaluated annually. Additional study materials include a collection of 2,500 congenital cardiac specimens in the Farouk Idriss Cardiac Registry, and a comprehensive registry of 53,000 pediatric renal tumor cases, part of the Children’s Oncology Group Renal Tumor Pathology Center.
- Thirty-two Weeks — Anatomic Pathology (including rotation in gastro-intestinal pathology)
- Six Weeks — Perinatal Pathology (Northwestern Memorial Hospital)
- Six Weeks — Clinical Pathology: Hematopathology, Molecular Pathology, Transfusion Medicine, Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology, Immunology, Lab Management
- Four Weeks — Elective rotation
- Four Weeks — Vacation
Candidates must have completed at least two years of training in an ACGME-accredited residency program in anatomic and clinical pathology or anatomic pathology, in accordance with current ABP stipulations, be eligible for board examination and be eligible for Illinois State License.
Interested candidates should send the following information to program director Nicole Arva, MD/PhD:
- A letter of interest
- Three letters of reference
Housestaff training through McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University provides diverse and challenging clinical experiences and world-class education located in the heart of the beautiful city of Chicago. Learn more via the links to the McGaw website below.